Among the other radios were two AK 57s often referred to as "Little Stove" radios because of the metal cabinets and the resemblance to an old wood or gas stove.
One was in good shape with the Victorian style legs (like ;-)). The other had been painted a festive red and green and had strait legs. As attractive as the red/green one was, I decided to stick with the stock color example for restoration. From the two, I could come up with most of the parts needed.
Between the two there was only one good speaker cone, both had open primaries on the second audio interstage transformer and both magnetic/reed speakers had open coils. The rest of the restoration was pretty much standard for an AK 40 which uses the same chassis, though the ser. plate is marked 57. The tube complement being RCA 226, 226, 226, 226, 227, 171, 280.
These coils are high impedance and similar to those found in Crosley Musicone speakers of the time. Winding a new coil is usually not a problem but these use a small rectangular form that won't fit my coil winder. So I had to first make a jig on which I could both build a coil form and wind a new coil.
Having the biggest obstacle out of the way - in my mind, anyway - I moved on to the power supply. Not that melting the tar out of one of these supplies is easy, but, I have done it about 40 times or more on various models and the AK 40/42/57 supply is the easiest.
The filter capacitors are replaced with 630 volt Mylar or metalized film caps, much like the originals and likely to last a long time as compared to 450V electrolytics.